Wednesday, July 16, 2014

#19 - Sly Fox Wednesday Night 5K Summer Series, fun and beer galore

July afternoon workouts in eastern Pennsylvania (PA), USA can be challenging. It's muggy, and buggy on most days.  No amount of insect spray can keep these pesky gnats away.  I've inhaled and eaten my share of these flying proteins. It's a shame I could never outrun them. What's worse than swallowing bugs?  "It's when they get stuck at the back of your throat," a sly fox runner said.


Sly Fox is the track club that organized this race. It is also the name of the brewery where we started and ended the race. I don't know if there is any relation between the 2 foxes.  I just know that running and drinking go well together. 


First lap of 4.
This was definitely a fun race.  I felt a sense of fellowship, and it wasn't due to the Sly Fox Belgian brew that they were giving away.  Many runners knew each other, and took the time to get to know others like me.  

First, I met Greg. Although he finished in 25:27 and won 3rd place in the aged 50-59 group, he still felt he was slow. This is the reason he prefers long distance races.  He finished a 50-miler in 12 hours recently, and plans to finish a 24-hour marathon where participants are expected to run as many miles within
With Mary Ann and Scott
24 hours. That was the first time I've heard of this kind of marathon - interesting.  Here are a few 24-hour races I found:  



I can't imagine being in any of these races.  To Greg, may the force be with you!

Medals on pretty ribbons were awarded to the top 3 men, and top 3 women winners overall, and of each age group.  I didn't get any medal but I met racers who won medals: Michele, and her niece Stephanie. I also met Mary Ann, and her husband Scott.  Mary Ann races and Scott supports - kinda like me and Eric.

Beer for all finishers
Sly Fox Wednesday Night 5K Summer Series consists of 6 races. Anyone can join the series or pick and choose a race. Competition is usually held on the first Wednesday of every month, except for July.  This was the 4th of the series.



Cotton T for each runner.

Would I run this again? I would definitely recommend this to my friends, especially to those who are looking for an "easy" race because the course was relatively flat.  I'm just not sure I'd want to loop 4 times around the same road again.


More pictures


Registration
72 runners crossed this finish line
Starting line

Timing team efficiently manages finishers.

Race Facts

Address: Sly Fox Brewery 331 Circle of Progress Drive, Pottstown PA

Course: flat, asphalt road

Date and Time: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Kids Fun Run: none

Parking: Free and plenty

Participants: 72

Post Race Nourishment: water and beer

Price: $25 (via https://www.pretzelcitysports.com)

Prizes: medals for top 3 men and women of each of the following groups:

  • 14 and Under
  • 15-19
  • 20-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60+

Results: immediate; Online results were published the next day

Restrooms: in the brewery

Shirt: Cotton

Timing: traditional

Water Stations: none

Website: http://www.slyfoxtrackclub.com





    No comments:

    Post a Comment