Friday, July 4, 2014

#17 - Coney Island COSME 5K, the good and the bad


My first boardwalk competition was held in Coney Island, New York on Sunday, June 29, 2014. Running on wood was a treat, and thanks to other runners who warned me of uneven planks, I finished in good health. I had fun but I expected more from a 22nd event.  

Here are 5 negatives and 8 positives, arranged in the order they were experienced: 






5 Negatives


(1) No location markers. Two races where scheduled on June 29, and many COSME runners like myself lined up at a packet pick up booth inside a baseball stadium just to find out that we were not registered for that race. Our race was at the boardwalk behind the stadium. It was about 8:55 am and the race was scheduled to start at 9:30 am - where are the streamers? The fanfare? There's a lot to celebrate with a 22nd race! Thanks to a pedestrian who was also unsure what a Coney Island race is, pointed us towards what he thought might be a plausible location. 

Registration

Baking in the 9:45 am sun while waiting to start
(2) Pin rationing.  Packets contained many things but no pins.  When the pins became available, some participants only got 3 because that's what they were allowed.

(3) The race started 23 minutes late.  It was getting hotter, and no one seemed to be managing the event. I would have appreciated any communication especially a delay on a hot day.

Bib before and after race. No name/age.

Race Facts

Address: W 19th Street + Riegelmann Boardwalk Brooklyn, NY 11214

Date and Time: Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 9:52 am, original schedule was 9:30 am

Shirt: sleeveless polyester

Surface: about 95% wood, patches of sand, and about 20 yards of cement

Participants: 138

Timing: traditional

Post Race Food: bananas, mangoes, plums, oranges, hotdogs, rolls, protein bars, water, tea

Prizes: trophies for top 3 winners of each of the following groups:


  • 12 and below
  • 13 to 15 
  • 16 to 19
  • 20 to 29
  • 30 to 39
  • 40 to 49
  • 50 to 59
  • 60 to 69
  • 70 and above

Results were available 2 hours after the race. Online results were published within the same day.


Map and elevation


Engraved trophies
(4) Waited 2 hours to get official time  - a little too long considering there were only 138 runners.  I could have gone home and waited for online results but after race #12, I've learned to wait for results onsite.

(5) Nice trophies. I bet they look better when it's taken out of its packaging before awarding. This gave me the impression that the organizers just didn't care much about the participants.


Top to bottom: Shirt front and back





8 Positives

  1. Volunteers called to make sure they have my shirt size 
  2. Nice view 
  3. Lots of freebies 
  4. Easy access to clean restrooms 
  5. Metal medals for all finishers 
  6. Party music
  7. Engraved metal trophies 
  8. Awards for top 3 winners of 17 groups 
Overall, this is a good race for beginners because it is mostly flat, and the boardwalk is easy on the body. The location offers many more things to do after the race. You can cool off at beach or have fun in the amusement park.

Would I run again? I don't know. If the organizers can be more punctual, then I would consider joining this again.


More Pictures


Taken in front of the registration area.


View from registration area.


Peewee run was held after the 5K



I'm considering changing my shoes. This guy was way ahead of me.



Restrooms









No comments:

Post a Comment